Invertek Drives, a Powys, U.K.-based manufacturer, has launched its Optidrive Coolvert variable frequency drive (VFD), which is designed for CO2 condensing systems.
“It is targeted at OEMs to help meet the EU F-Gas (Fluorinated Greenhouse Gas) regulations, in addition to energy efficiency gains,” said Invertek Drives in a press release, adding that it “can provide end users with energy savings of up to 25%.” Further product information, brochure downloads, and purchasing options can be found on the company’s website.
The motor operates at ambient temperatures between -20°C (-4°F) and 60°C (140°F), and can “optimize the performance and lower the energy costs of BLDC compressors used in heat pumps,” said Invertek Drives.
The unit supports open Modbus RS485 communication, which can connect to external application controllers. This gives OEMs the “freedom to select which components to use, leading to lower manufacturing costs,” Invertek Drives said.
The unit has an IP (ingress protection) -20 rated front and an IP55-rated rear, and its through-panel mounting “allows the drive’s power electronics to be cooled by the chilled air of the condenser,” according to Invertek Drives. “This allows OEMs to select the smallest panel size for the control of the electronics while removing heat generated by the drive and maintaining the IP rating.”
“[The unit’s] compact design, one of the smallest in the market, makes it an ideal solution for machine builders who have limited panel space and want complete system design flexibility,” the release quoted Mike Carman, Head of Sales at Invertek Drives.
Optidrive Coolvert features:
- Optional Bluetooth connectivity (via the company’s Optistick Smart product)
- Through panel mounting
- Safe torque off input, providing built-in extra protection
- 3-step start-up sequencing profile to lower the risk of oil migration
- Compressor-specific protections including Minimum On Time, Minimum Off Time, Re-Start Delay
- Seamless connectivity with any controller via ModbusRTU
- Pluggable control and communication terminals
- Lower harmonics – EN 61000-3-12 / EN 61000-3-2 compliant without external equipment
- Coated PCBs – designed for operation in 3S2/3C2 environments in accordance with IEC 60271-3-3
- Suitable for all motor types, including IM, PM, BLDC, SynRm, LSPMInvertek specializes in manufacturing VFDs in accordance with international design standards.
“[The unit’s] compact design, one of the smallest in the market, makes it an ideal solution for machine builders who have limited panel space and want complete system design flexibility.”Mike Carman, Head of Sales, Invertek Drives