Lidl’s biggest and most sustainable logistics centre in Europe features an NH3/CO2 cooling system from Cofrico, which designs, manufactures, installs and maintains refrigeration systems in Spain, France and Morocco. The German retailer commissioned Cofrico to provide the cooling system at the 12,000 m2 logistics centre in Alcalá de Henares, Spain.
The plant opened its doors in September 2016 but the system has been running since June. The system was designed to help deliver Lidl’s environmental and energy saving targets.
Main features of the installation:
- Use of heat exchanges for heat recovery.
- Energy recovery from used oil.
- Floating condensation.
- Variable-speed technology (compressors, condensers, evaporators and EC fans).
- 4000 kW cooling capacity.
- Three different temperature patterns from +14 °C to -24°C to serve the freezing and cooling areas as well as room air-conditioniong.
The installation has become an international reference point due to its high efficiency and sustainability standards, recognised with BREEAM and Verde environmental certifications.Lidl currently has 535 stores in Spain.