Italian manufacturer SCM Frigo, a division of Beijer Ref, has begun operations at its new 13,000m2 (139,931ft2) eco-friendly headquarters/manufacturing facility in Sant’Angelo di Piove di Sacco, filling the growing demand for transcritical CO2 systems in Europe.
SCM Frigo’s previous factory, a group of three leased buildings near the new facility, “became much too small, unable to respond to demand for all systems,” including CO2 equipment, said Darren Lacroix, International Business Development, OEM for SCM Frigo.
The new facility encompasses production, offices, canteen, Beijer Ref Academy and conference room. It was officially launched on July 2.
The facility was designed with energy efficiency and sustainability in mind.
The new factory gives SCM Frigo the opportunity to expand its production range to meet demand for a wide range of systems and capacities, noted Lacroix. One product that is experiencing growing demand over the past five years is the CO2 condensing unit. “We manufacture 1,500 to 2,000 units per year, and this is growing,” said Lacroix. “There is growing demand, both in Europe and APAC region ”
SCM Frigo CO2 condensing units are best suited for small grocery stores or convenience stores, noted Lacroix. Low-temperature capacities range from 3-10kW (0.85-2.8TR), while medium-temperature capacities span 8-20kW (2.3-5.7TR). Typically one of each is used at a store.
SCM Frigo does 85% of its sales in Europe, but also has customers in Japan, the Middle East, South Africa, Australia and the U.S. In February, SCM Frigo announced that it had installed its first transcritical CO2 system in Japan at a French pastry chain.
In a European countries SCM Frigo can supply a medium-size transcritical CO2 system in seven or eight weeks, from order to delivery, said Lacroix.
SCM Frigo’s new facility includes the following environmental features:
- An underfloor heating/cooling system to reduce electrical power demands.
- Six AHUs on the factory roof for cooling (24°C/75°F) in the summer and to compensate for air removed through the welding-fume extraction.
- Two AHUs for offices and canteen, enabling the use of 100% external air to prevent thew spread of COVID-19. A heat-recovery enthalpic wheel is used to improve the performance the AHUs.
- Solar panels on the roof with 250kWp.0
- Use of a glass wall for the offices to provide natural light. The factory uses LED lights with dynamically adjusted lighting levels.
- A supervisor system manages technical equipment, lighting, factory temperature, access control, fire detection, anti-intrusion and comfort ventilation of offices and canteen.
“We manufacture 1,500 to 2,000 [CO2 condensing] units per year, and this is growing.”Darren Lacroix, SCM Frigo
Want to find out more, or have something to say about this story? Join the ATMOsphere network to meet and engage with like-minded stakeholders in the clean cooling and natural refrigerant arena.